About PETZL Brand
Petzl is a French company founded in 1968. It can be considered as one of the pioneers in mountaineering equipment. Because of its experience and innovation, Petzl has become the number one brand in sports equipment sales. This is one of the reasons why I always choose Petzl, because it is synonymous with experience and safety in the mountains.
As Petzl writes in their own homepage:
“We are committed to creating safer places. For those who work and play in the vertical and dark worlds.”
The Company has been built around four fundamental values: remaining a stable family business, industrial excellence, encouraging innovation for the best solutions and remaining engaged with their communities. And it has set-up a trustworthy and state-of-the-art foundation for the products which they create.
Below you will find my in-depth review about one of their products – PETZL Ouistiti Full Body Climbing Climbing Harness.
1. Why did I choose PETZL climbing harness?
The main reason for buying this equipment has been the confidence that the brand conveys to me and the security that using it gives me. In this case, this product is not for me - it is a gift for the precious daughter of my best friend. Therefore, the gift has to be of the best quality.
I don't have any children yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy this comfortable and safe harness if I did. It's amazing to see how Vera enjoys taking her first steps in climbing.
2. How do I plan to use PETZL Ouistiti full body climbing harness?
As I mentioned before, it is a gift. I usually go out on weekends to climb with a group of friends, but the climbing family is getting bigger. With the arrival of our first girl to the group, I decided to buy this gift, and we started to use it with her gradually.
At first, we used it on a swing that we built for her at the beginning of the route, so she could get her first sensations of height. Then we made a small via Ferrata route, and when she was ready… we climbed!
3. How to use the PETZL harness and description about the main features
Easy to wear and adjust:
- The harness maintains its shape when held by the orange back point
- Semi-rigid structure with different colors (gray padded interior and blue exterior) to make it easier to put on.
- The primary adjustment is done on the shoulder straps with the Double-Back buckles
- The secondary adjustment, for small or big children, with two Double-Back buckles on the back of the harness.
It is comfortable to wear on the ground and when suspended:
- Padded closed-cell foam structure on the leg loops, support belt, and shoulder straps.
- It does not require connectors to remain fastened, allowing the child to wear the harness to play without being disturbed.
- Reinforced and lowered front tie-in point for greater comfort when climbing, especially when descending.
Versatility of use for climbing, clubs, and acrobatic parks at height:
- One size up to 30 kg.
- Double-Back buckles out of children's reach.
- Green front stringing point for climbing, through which you pass the rope and tie the knot.
- Orange dorsal attachment point for other specific situations.
- Two gear loops located on the sides.
4. To whom is this climbing harness suitable?
This harness is specifically designed for children with a maximum weight of 30 kilograms. The question is - why should we use this type of harness and not a conventional adult harness?
Over time, harnesses have evolved. Nowadays, we can find harnesses specifically designed for women, men, and children, taking into account the specific physiognomy of each of them.
For example, women have wider hips than men, so a specific harness will make her much more comfortable but, when we talk about a harness for children, it is not only about comfort but also about safety. So it has to be specifically designed for this target audience.
5. Product contents and specification
The product contains: a harness, a storage bag, and an instruction booklet.
Materials: high tenacity polyester tape, closed-cell foam and polyester
The harness is ergonomically constructed so that children feel comfortable and secure inside it.
It has two leg loops. It should be worn on the legs first. The harness is then placed over the shoulders and adjusted with the straps. Once it’s perfectly positioned, use the front strap to hold yourself in place.
The back strap is for securing the child; but not for climbing.
The harness is very light, with a weight similar to that of an adult harness, and I personally like its color and design (but this is just a personal preference).
6. Main benefits
The harness is designed primarily for climbing, but let's not forget that we can use it for many other activities, for example:
- Via Ferrata
- In the mountains
- I have also seen people using it to carry children on the street, using the back (orange) strap. This is a personal matter of taste, but I do find it very interesting that the child can be held by the back strap in different challenging situations, such as in narrow passages or simply so that they do not wander away, because when we go climbing, some approaches are quite dangerous.
Weight: 410 grams. Your child will appreciate this.
Warranty: 3 years.
Safety: Certifications: CE EN 12277 type B, UIA.
7. Features I like about PETZL harness
This product opens up an immense range of possibilities in the mountains.
What I like the most is its versatility. This harness is designed not just for climbing, although this is its purpose.
It can also be used for mountain traverses - short routes where we have a challenging passage and want to secure our child.
It can also be used for skiing. How? Well, that's very easy! We put ourselves behind the child and put a small rope behind the harness so the child can be secured and guided at all times. It is also very useful for via Ferrata routes.
There is one thing I really like – our children can wear the harness all the time, from the moment we get out of the car and approach to the climbing area, and also during the routes. You can carry the child secured at all times. And it is so padded that there are times when I feel like getting into it myself, but I can't fit!
Where to buy PETZL Ouistiti Full Body Climbing Climbing Harness?
I hope that my detailed review was helpful. This product is really outstanding and it has hundreds of positive reviews also on Amazon.
If you like this product, you can find the best offer here on Amazon:
Author: Miguel | Let's Review
My name is Miguel. I'm from Madrid (Spain), and I've been practicing climbing for more than 15 years. This has been my passion and my way of understanding life since I tried my first climbing route for the first time in La Pedriza. Climbing has led me to explore wonderful places in different parts of the world (Patagonia, Morocco, Chile, Argentina, France, Spain, and Switzerland), where I have enjoyed the best walls ever; but I would definitely leave this in the background to talk about the most special part of climbing which is meeting people, cultures, and traveling with friends and family.
I have always liked teaching and also learning from my students, from a very young age. That is why my entire professional career has been channeled in this direction. I started as a canyoning instructor, ski instructor and climbing instructor. But later, I got a master’s degree in ELE and dedicated myself to teaching Spanish.
You can read my full bio here.